Avoiding Obesity: Secrets To Having Physically Active Kids

Steps to avoiding obesity in children may seem obvious. But considering the rise in childhood obesity and the risks associated a few small steps can go a long way.

Over the past 25 years, the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents has risen, with the most substantial increases observed in economically developed countries… In 1978/79, 12% of 2- to 17-year-olds wereoverweight, and 3% were obese—a combined overweight/obesity rate of 15%. By 2004, the overweight rate for this age group was 18% (an estimated 1.1 million), and 8% were obese (about half a million)—a combined rate of 26%
– StatsCan

So what can you do to start making a difference in your child’s life?

  • Set a good example. If your children observe you being physically active, they are more likely to be active.
  • Be active together as a family. Plan active outings such as a walking trip to a city attraction, hiking or biking through the river valley, playing sports with a friend’s family.
  • Encourage your children to walk or bike to school. Go with your children to teach safety tips en route. Active physical programs are a fun option to keep them moving and motivated.
  • Set limits on the amount of time your family spends watching TV and playing video games. Help your children discover fun physical activities that they will enjoy. Encourage your children to join a FUN and non-competitive sport or activity.
  • Eat healthy avoid the “junk food” temptations. Children and adults need nutritionally rich food to provide the energy required to be active. Eating habits are learned, so teach your children healthy eating while they are young.

So what do you do to keep your kids healthy and active? Leave us a comment below.